Thursday, November 03, 2016

Song #233: "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)"--Looking Glass (1972)

We head back 44 years today for a song that was an absolute staple of WRVA Radio back in the early 1970's as I was discovering popular music. I would either hear music on the clock radio in our bedroom, the stereo in the dining room, or in the car.

And, apparently, this song made an impression, for one night, I had a dream that would become Witham legend.

My brother and I shared a room in the parsonage as our parents had bedroom #1, our sister bedroom #2. We had bunk beds for a time. I can remember going to sleep in the bottom bunk while "Eddie" (that's what we called Uncle Frank then) would begin his 40 winks listening to Washington Senators baseball on a transistor radio.

Well, someone had heard "Brandy" enough times that it entered the ol' subconscious, so much so that, one night, while dreaming, and yes, I was known for talking in my sleep, I changed the chorus from:

"Brandy, you're a fine girl, what a good wife you would be"

to

"Eddie, you're a fine boy, what a good wife you would be".

Enjoy the Looking Glass' contribution to our Top 500 now while I begin plotting how I can weave the best story in Witham Brothers history into a song on the countdown. Many things were involved, including a bad toilet, and popcorn.  :)


No comments: