Sunday, November 20, 2016

Song #216: "Stranger In Town"--Toto (1984)

Hitting radio as I began to come to grips with the fact that I really was a senior at Patrick Henry High School, this song was not one of Toto's more commercial successes. In fact, it was more successful at rock radio, peaking at #7, as opposed to pop radio, just cracking the Top 30, long enough for a cup of coffee with Casey Kasem.

But the song is simply fantastic, and, when I got to college, began working in radio, and discovered the "seven inch" single version of the song in the music director's office located in the back off the hallway at our stations in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, I discovered a whole new version of the tune.

From the makers of "99, which made our countdown earlier, plus the 1982 smash hits "Rosanna" and "Africa", which did not, here's the second of four Toto tunes in my Top 500.


No comments: