Thursday, November 17, 2016

Song #219: "Mr. Roboto"--Styx (1983)

It's the fifth of seven songs from a group that was woven into the musical fabric of the 1970's and early 1980's more than people remember now that we're over three decades removed from their run of incredible music.

Thinking about the variety of groups that populated some or most of that time frame, like Styx, Eagles, Chicago, Boston, Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac, The Pretenders, Fleetwood Mac, The Doobie Brothers....and that is only scratching the surface.

I'm not sure how the music of the 2010's will stack up a generation from now, and I suspect it will have its forty-somethings like me who will say it was the greatest time for music ever. Every generation tends to believe that way.

But I'd stack up the raw music talent of this era to any other, and I think it would fare just fine.

Today's Styx contribution is from their final album, really, in terms of the true "Styx". "Kilroy Was Here", was loved by many fans, and slammed by some. When I hear this song, I'm immediately transported to one of the greatest periods of my life, from February to April, 1983, when some fantastic things began to happen for me, and I started the final stretch to truly understanding who I was, and was meant to be.

And, (spoiler alert!), we will return to this album before the countdown concludes. :)




No comments: