Saturday, October 22, 2016

Song #245: "Tom Sawyer"--Rush (1981)

One of my favorite groups of all time arrives!

I caught a documentary on the early history of Rush not too long ago, and now have an even greater appreciation for Geddy Lee and company after seeing how hard they worked, how long they labored to finally get the success they deserved, not just because it was their "time", but that the masses finally "got it" when it came to their style, their sound.

I can't say I was a huge fan of their very long "suites", but I'm a huge fan of many of their songs. Obviously, Lee's vocals are part of the equation, but Rush, with its music, created a different, unique niche in sound. When a new Rush song hit the radio, you knew it, and didn't need an intro by the disc jockey.  :)

This song was one that helped me navigate the second half of the worst year of my public school life: the eighth grade. New school, big class (compared to 28 of us at Beaverdam Elementary), lots of teasing, the bully on the bus, my first huge crush that left me speechless in Algebra I, and, unbeknownst to anyone, I was into my second year dealing with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Mine came as the "Sudden Onset" kind in 1979.

That was a lot to deal with at 13 1/2 years old. So, I think of this song, and others from that period, and smile, as I buried myself in music, A LOT, to get me through those days.  :)

More Rush to come as the countdown continues!


No comments: