Monday, October 24, 2016

Song #243: "Weather Channel"--Sheryl Crow (2002)

Sheryl Crow hit it big in 1994 with her "Tuesday Night Music Club" CD, and, eight years later, did pretty well with the release, "C'mon, C'mon".

Without creating a spoiler here about a future countdown song, I purchased the latter CD sometime in 2003, I believe, because of another song I really liked that was on it. And that is when I discovered today's countdown entry.

"Weather Channel" was never a single, and closes the CD. And, in the wake of the loss of my mother to cancer at just age 64 on December 28, 2002, this song hit home with me in a ton of ways. I referred to my bout with depression (something that can lessen, but doesn't go away) several days earlier, and, when I first heard this song, it brought everything I was feeling emotionally to full circle.

Life continued, I worked, too much, and thus, I missed some of the development of my kids. Then, when I wasn't working, I was usually in bed sleeping away full days, sometimes even full weekends after I gave up my pastorate at the end of 2005.

I was in a storm, yet I was "waiting for the storm" simultaneously, which is a feeling, by the way, I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

This is a deeply depressing song. And, for a time, it was right on the mark for me. I'm glad I reached, as far as I have, over on the other side of it,

My message to anyone reading this who is in, or preparing for, the storm, or both comes by using the lyrics at the song's conclusion.

Don't be "the better faker."  Reach out. Get help. There's hope. Especially for those of you who are believers in Christ who have, at some point, been taught depression, or not being constantly filled with the joy of the Lord is a sin. I'm here to tell you those who purport that are dead wrong.

It's a natural human experience, and it can be dealt with and, to a significant extent, overcome. I am living proof.  :)


No comments: