Thursday, September 29, 2016

Song #268: "Breakfast In America"--Supertramp (1979)

Here's the second of three countdown appearances by one of the most underrated groups of their era.

I was a proud owner of "Breakfast In America", and really loved the LP. And while it, the sixth released by Supertramp, featured hits like "The Logical Song", "Goodbye Stranger", and a song that just missed our list, "Take The Long Way Home", I was a big fan of the title track, even if it didn't fare as well as a radio single.

Simple, short, but exquisitely fantastic, it has a simple premise: the story of someone who has never crossed the pond to America, but dreams of it.

And now, 37 years later, I dream of visiting my family's roots in the town of Witham in England, along the banks of the Witham River. Maybe one day, if I can overcome my fear of flying across the pond.  :)

Hint: It will be awhile before our final Supertramp contribution, and it will come from "Breakfast In America". Did I mention it above? We'll find out as the countdown continues....

P.S.--Sorry the original version isn't posted; it's not on YouTube. Miss the great harmonies because of it.  :(


No comments: