Monday, April 10, 2017

Song #75: "Who Said I Would?"--Phil Collins (1985)

Four of Phil Collins' six solo contributions to our musical journey came from his monster 1985 release, "No Jacket Required", which I believe I've mentioned in the past how I purchased this cassette (yes, cassette), when I got my first Sony Walkman shortly before moving to college on September 1, 1985.

In the early days at Berkshire Christian College, my work to help pay tuition was to clean several parts of the first floor of the academic building, Vannah Hall. Yes, I said "the academic building", for there was but one. The college was very, very small.

To pass the time with the vacuum and other implements of cleanliness was my Walkman, and "No Jacket Required". In the end, today's song made the biggest impression, a song with a perfect start, launching into a driving song that utilized the vocal ability of Collins in an incredible way.

It was never a single, never featured on the radio, but it's my favorite solo effort from the great Phil Collins.  :)


No comments: