Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Song #164: "Pennsylvania 6-5000"--The Glenn Miller Orchestra (1940)

Today, it's the third of four song contributions in our countdown from one of the giants of the "Big Band" and "Swing" eras of popular music from the 1930's and 1940's, the era that saw my Dad growing up as a child in Maine, and my Mom in her early years on the tobacco farm in Four Oaks, North Carolina.

My first real exposure to this genre of music was while playing a role in "The 1940's Radio Hour" my sophomore year at Patrick Henry. My first professional radio job, as I've mentioned before, was at WUHN-AM in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, a Big Band/Adult Standards station. I was already familiar with some of their playlist upon arrival, and that helped an 18-year old guy feel more comfortable on a station such as that.  :)

Glenn and company will return one more time for a timeless classic, but, then again, all four of the songs we've posted certainly have stood the test of time.

Now, to find an operator so I can make this call.....




No comments: