Thursday, January 19, 2017

Song #156: "Late In The Evening"--Paul Simon (1980)

I'm having a whole lot of school memories in recent days, which makes sense, as most of the countdown entries made their mark while I was still working hard on that education thing.  :)

Today, I have a very vivid memory. The Summer of 1980 was complete, and I woke up on the morning of Monday, August 25th, 1980, well, frankly, petrified.

It was my first day as an eighth grader at Liberty Junior High School after seven years plying my educational trade at Beaverdam Elementary. Longer bus ride, much bigger class, unfamiliar school, stairs, strangers. It was too much.

Man, I struggled eighth grade year. There were days where I just tried to survive to 3pm so I could get on the bus and go home. You also have to remember that, at this time, I'm less than a year into the sometimes debilitating symptoms of Sudden Onset Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder which came along in 1979.

So, I'm not fitting in and I feel like a freak. Perfect combination for 13 years old.

But I got a boost for Day 1 at Liberty when, much to my surprise, driving up to Beaverdam to see me off to school that first morning was......my incredible brother.

36 years later, I haven't forgotten that gesture and want everyone to know just how much I appreciated it, both then, and now.  :)

So, here it is, my favorite song from Paul Simon: Late In The Evening, which was in heavy rotation on my stereo back on 8/25/1980.  :)


No comments: