Thursday, August 04, 2016

Song #324: "I'm Alive"--Electric Light Orchestra (1980)

When I posted a Genesis entry a week or so back, I spoke of the fact that they were probably the most influential group in my musical taste "in the moment" during my high school and early college years of the 1980's, say, 1981 to 1986.

Now in 2016, it's obvious who my favorite group is, and it's also obvious that another group that held much sway over me during the decade-plus where they produced hit after hit is Jeff Lynne and the gang at ELO.

They return with the second of their nine entries in the Rob Witham 500, this time their big single from the, well, interesting concept film "Xanadu" from 1980. This song was all over radio in the summer of that year as I began the countdown to Liberty Junior High School.

Xanadu. The soundtrack included Olivia Newton-John, ELO, The Tubes, and Gene Kelly. Oh, and roller skating.

Think about that. And those of you under 30, take a moment to Google "Gene Kelly".  :)


No comments: