Saturday, August 13, 2016

Song #315: "So This Is Love?"--Van Halen (1981)

It's fair to say that Van Halen's best commercial days were still ahead of them when they released "Fair Warning" in the Spring of 1981. But for us hard core Van Halen fans, and yes, I was one of them at nearly 14, we couldn't wait for the premiere of the first song from this new album.

And if memory serves me correctly, this song debuted on the radio on a Friday afternoon between the time school let out and the night of the great Spring Dance of 1981 at Liberty Junior High School. Man, the things you remember. Can't remember what I ate yesterday, but I remember going home and sitting by the radio for this song.....

At the opening bass, it had me. I know I was in the minority, as it never cracked the Billboard Top 100, and only peaked on the Rock chart at #15. Songs like "Jump", "Panama", and the Sammy Hagar era were all well into the future.

But my Van Halen memories, and favorite songs, were early on in their tenure. And this song is certainly one of them. Excuse me while I go jam a moment..... :) :)


No comments: