Sunday, August 14, 2016

Song #314: "Tijuana Taxi"--Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (1965)

First off today, a little known fact.

I've left the United States, so far, exactly one time, for the better part of an hour, in June of 1983, walking across the border into, you guessed it, Tijuana, Mexico. What a culture shock. Then, back across into San Diego, and I haven't left since.

It's not that I don't want to, mind you, the opportunity really hasn't presented itself. There are a few places on my bucket list to visit:

1) Witham, England. Yes, there is a town named for our family there. My sister-in-law has visited.
2) Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It looks insanely beautiful.
3) Austraila. This is highly doubtful, as it would take a mini-miracle to get me sedated enough to travel across the Atlantic to England, much less take this trek.

Now, to today's song.

As I've mentioned previously with a Herb Alpert tune, his songs were a staple back in the day on WRVA, notably for usage to time into NBC News at the top of the hour. I got to know a lot of Herb's instrumental work through that.

This tune was definitely one of my favorites, and I ended up owning the album from which it came, "Going Places", but the reason I bought it was for another song, which we'll discuss later on.  :)



For now, here's a two-plus minute trip to Tijuana!



No comments: