Sunday, August 21, 2016

Song #307: "Little Brown Jug"--Glenn Miller (1939)

The great Glenn Miller took a song that, at the time, was 70 years old, and completely made it into his own, while, at the same time, creating one of the signature sounds from what is commonly known as "The Big Band Era" from the early 1930's through the late 1940's.

"Big Band" was hand in hand with the "Swing" era, which owes much to many musical formats. But it's crazy to think our song today saw its origins a mere four years after the end of The Civil War.

"Little Brown Jug", not surprisingly, was a drinking song, and was a part of the American folk music scene for years. Then Miller took it and made history with it as the world descended into war.

Eight years after his disappearance and presumed death during World War II, Universal Pictures released the terrific film, "The Glenn Miller Story", starring Jimmy Stewart as Miller and June Allyson as his wife. If you're never seen it, do it. It is an absolute classic.

Side story: I was so keyed up for Robbie's high school graduation in June, 2010, I never slept the night before. Before the sun rose on his commencement day from Hermitage, "The Glenn Miller Story" came on TV and I finally took the time to watch it. Needless to say, the first tears I cried on that momentous day was from watching the film. Call it a dress rehearsal for later in the day.  :)

I'm sure that, back in 1987, I was the only 20 year-old riding around Richmond, Virginia with a Best of Glenn Miller cassette blaring out of my 1979 Chevette. For me, he's the first figure I think of when thinking of the "Big Band" sound.

Here comes a song that sounds pretty darn good for age 147!




No comments: