Thursday, August 25, 2016

Song #303: "Desiree"--Neil Diamond (1977)

It's kind of hard to believe that, from all the hits Neil Diamond had in his illustrious career, he only had two solo songs top the Billboard Hot 100.

Let me know if you know them. Yeah, Google if ya want.  :) :)

Today's song is not one of them, but it's my favorite Neil Diamond tune, signaling that his second song is his last contribution to our countdown. Released late in 1977 and peaking at #16 in February, 1978, which would be my fifth grade year, "Desiree" tells the story of a young man who spends a little bit of time with, well, an older woman who apparently made quite the impression on him.

I just like the tune, the chorus is really fun to sing along with, in the car, by yourself (how many times have I said that??), and, all these years later, it makes me think of a friend and former co-worker who used the name as her radio name during her time here in the River City.  :)

On a related note, there's nothing autobiographical to this song for me.  :) :)


No comments: