Friday, August 12, 2016

Song #316: "Modern Woman"--Billy Joel (1986)

The Piano Man returns to the countdown today with a tune that first appeared both on his album, "The Bridge" and on the soundtrack to the rather forgettable movie, "Ruthless People".

It peaked on the charts in the middle of the Summer of 1986, meaning I got to play it, a lot, on WUPE in Pittsfield. I feel so sorry for the next generation that actually appreciates, understands, and wants to work in radio. Where in the world do they find a place with actual human beings who can mentor them?

Thirty years ago, a small market like Pittsfield was perfect for a hungry radio newbie like me. I wanted to learn EVERYTHING. And, before I returned to Richmond, I had done two music formats, morning drive, middays, afternoon drive, evenings, overnights, filled in when there was no news director, covered City Council meetings, grabbed actualities, and even hosted two remote broadcasts back when a station used a van and a Marti unit.

Don't know what a Marti unit is?  From Google. You're welcome. :)

This reminds me of the morning I was covering for the usual AM drive host, who was on vacation, and swallowed a fruit fly live on the air in the middle of a weather forecast. But I digress.

More from Billy to come.  :)




No comments: