Monday, June 19, 2017

Song #5: "When I Fall In Love"--Nat King Cole (1956)

We begin the top five with, for my money, the greatest love song of all time.

Originally written in 1952, the song first achieved popularity with the version recorded by Doris Day. There have been countless versions released over its 65-year history. Three of them stand out for me.

I want to give kudos to the 1993 version with Clive Griffin and Celine Dion recorded for the movie, "Sleepless In Seattle". Their vocals are wonderful, and the ending is almost perfect.

But, in the end, no one matches the incredible vocal talent of the great Nat King Cole. It's a simple, yet elegant version of a simple, yet timeless message. I've decided to post both Nat's rendition, taken from an early television show, and the "virtual remake" done by the late Natalie Cole 40 years later.

Both I and my wife come from broken homes. I told her, on bended knee, on Christmas Eve, 1987 that I was only going to ask "this question" once. I had to find someone willing to spend the rest of their life with me, because I knew I wanted kids, and I never wanted them to experience what I had at just seven and a half years old.

After begging, and a promise to write her a check once a year (hee hee), she said yes.

So, for as much as I poked at Bonnie yesterday, I honor her today. Unbelievable to me that someone has been willing to put up with my idiosyncracies, quirks, OCD, and issues over nearly three decades now.

Thanks, sweetie!  :)





No comments: