Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Song #10: "Sunset Grill"--Don Henley (1985)

We've finally made it. The top ten songs begin now.  :)

There was a pizza joint on the road between Lenox and Pittsfield, Massachusetts that I visited a few times with college friends during my freshman year at Berkshire Christian College, specifically during fall semester in 1985.

And, every time I hear this song, my mind drifts back almost 32 years to this place, the name of which I cannot remember. It was during that fall that today's song dotted the radio landscape, peaking at #22 on the Billboard Hot 100.

I was 500 miles away from home, lonely, and trying to find my footing after living eighteen of my first eighteen years in one home, in one location. It was, by far, the most difficult transitional period of my life, as I guess it should be, going from childhood into adulthood.

But this song is also to me an anthem to wherever that "sane place" is for me, and for you, where you can always go and feel comfortable, feel at home, or at least feel wanted and appreciated. Most people think about "Cheers" when they are making that analogy.

Instead, since I never watched that show, I think of "Sunset Grill".

This is the fifth and final song from Henley as a solo artist on the countdown.


No comments: