Thursday, January 17, 2008

Oh, the unmitigated gall!! Bladder!!

Whoa.

So, wifey's pains the past several evenings were not LapBand related after all. We (well, she) found out the hard way last night when abdominal pains significantly worsened and throwing up commenced with no end in sight.

Throwing up having the LapBand is a scary proposition, not wanting anything to shift and/or break.

It started at 11pm, we left for ER at midnight; they (being Bon Secours St. Marys) were wonderful; having her registered and back for x-ray in 45 minutes, which, for anyone who's been in an ER setting lately in Richmond, especially late night, is pretty Providential!

To Room 12 we go for the rest of the night; wifey gets medicine for pain and nausea and neither work. I learn this evening in talking to her she remembers little about the night, so in retrospect at least the first round of drugs induced memory loss.

"You don't want to remember last night.", I told her.

Ultrasound reveals the culprit: gallstones, and the doctor's decision is, best to get the gall bladder out.

Another round of "more powerful" meds, and she finally overcomes nausea, severe pain, and the nightly routine of her legs aching and goes night-night around 4am.

I step out to check on the dreaded forecast to see if we were going to get four or five snowflakes. Back to the room, discussions with nurse and doc on call, and I head for home at 5:45, so wifey's aunt can go home (bless her heart, she came out at midnight to come sleep here while the kids slept).

Both kids (highly unusual) were already awake at 6:10 and I get to explain to them where mom and dad spent the night (sadly, it was NOT at the Hilton in a jacuzzi!)

We watched TV while getting ready, making sure school was a go, and it was. First trip, Rachel; second trip, Robbie, then right back to St. Mary's, where wifey's youngest sister was there! She and I stayed 'til 9:30, then she had to work and I came home to nap, since wifey was, well, in some serious "la-la-land".

I was most jealous, because I barely slept; by 130 I gave up, got up, washed clothes, et al, et al, saw Rachel get home and go over to a friend's house while I headed back to the hospital for round 3.

She was (yay!) in a room shortly after I left in the morning (10a or so), so I met her there and she was quite lucid! "I just got this way", she said. :)

So, we talked, she pee'd, we talked, her phone rang (lots of "Sweet Home Alabama" ringtone), she got a roommate, then they came to get her for surgery at 6pm.

It's 8pm now; came home to feed the kids and make sure the dogs and cats were still living together.

Now, it's back to St. Mary's for Round 4. Post-op, make sure there are no complications, kisses from the kids, and come home for some sleep.

Then, it's kids back to school and wifey home, hopefully by noon tomorrow. Yay!!!!

I told her this was a heck of a way to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary!

Again, I opine----

OH, THE UNMITIGATED GALL.....BLADDER!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

Bonnie,
Hope you feel better and have a speedy recovery. Let me know if I can do anything.

Ginny