Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I Came, I Slipped, I Fell.....and "24" in review, too

First, the good stuff: last night's "24":

The first ten minutes of the show were breathtaking. Suspend your realism and, yes, you can see Jack taking on 16 terrorists, slipping a knife to his lady, and rescuing the Secretary of Defense, who doesn't believe his son either, by the way.

Oh, dear, welcome Paul, the still husband of Audrey Raines, who wants to start afresh and anew, while Audrey, well, can't stop thinking about the man who saved her life.

AND I TOLD YOU MARIANNE WAS A MOLE!!!! But to whom was she speaking to at 12:59pm?

So, next week, let's see....104 Nuclear Plants on the wall, 104 Nuclear Plants....
save one now, take it down now, 103 Nuclear Plants on the wall......

Does Behrooz come back to take revenge on mom and dad with A) the big gun, or B) the more primitive swinging shovel?

When does Jack demand Erin bring back Chloe?

When is Michelle showing up?

Oh, and (SPOILER HERE!!!)---12 more hours 'til President Palmer re-emerges from his book tour!

--------------------------------------------------------

Now, on to our other top story:

I've been ultra careful during our first bout with snow/ice this winter while I walk, mindful of this being my first winter with a permanently damaged shoulder. The idea of hitting it on, say, concrete or a hard sheet of ice, causing the bone to expose itself is not my way of spending a sunny winter morning.

So, I'm walking carefully into the office through the parking lot this morning, and, you guessed it! Chuck Taylor, meet small sliver of ice.....just enough to send Mr. Witham tumbling and into a frightened state of deja vu all over again.

Nope, couldn't regain the footing, and, eventually, I go down, on my right side, exclaiming, I think, either "Oh God", or "Oh No". Take your pick, either is sufficient for the moment.

All thoughts are on the shoulder. Two seconds evaluation determines it did not take a direct hit, though the right side sure did. The hands did help break the fall this time (as opposed to last June), and they showed it. Burning bad from asphalt rub. The right knee took a shot, although I didn't realize its bleeding capacity 'til about 30 minutes later....

Those pains began to subside, and....the real pain started to commence. Something's wrong with my right wrist. Not sure if it's a bone chip, just a sprain, or maybe a hairline fracture.

No less than 437 people ordered me to go to the Patient First/Doctor/Orthopedic of my choice. I'm simply not ready to do that yet. After ten weeks in a sling, I want to make sure it's something worth going to an orthopedic about. Call me bullheaded (everybody else did today, too.....)

My wife was ready to bust up my other knee for good measure.

So, I visit HR for Workmens Comp forms in the AM, and, well, trust God to overlook my stubborness and heal the wrist in spite of me (hey, at least I'm being honest before God, okay??) :)

I love winter. I HATE ice.

So, other than falling down AGAIN, hurting two hands, a wrist, an elbow and a knee, having barbeque sauce spill inside my carrier (and on some CD's!!!---I had meatballs in a container to take in for brunch), hack off a bunch of concerned people, and, oh, I was supposed to partake in a luncheon for staff today, with only one problem: no one told me. So, I spent lunch hour listening to 70s hits on Live 365!

Oh, and then there's the PTO/PTA mess at school. It's not worth wasting good keystrokes on.

So, needless to say, when the clock strikes midnight, I will be VERY glad this "24" is over (the day, not the show.....)

No comments: