Friday, August 20, 2004

Things you can, things you can't.....

Various thoughts on a Friday night after a long day at work while listening to the season-finale of my wife's absolute favorite show......

There are some things you can't blog about:

--Your job....that's just common sense, but after tough days one needs a place to decompress....but thanks to worldwide access, this ain't the place.....

--Your ex-girlfriends.....my wife reads, for goodness sakes!! :)

Then there are things on other blogs that are driving me nuts:

--Having to accept a software download just to view the blog. Sorry, never worth it.

--Music. Once it starts, I leave. I'm here to read, not lip-sync.

--Wild colors. That's an age-issue (don't wear my glasses and I should, especially since I live at a computer screen)...

--The F-word. All over the place, even from 14 year olds. Do y'all not know any intelligent adjectives??

Okay...there I feel better. Nothing like substitute ranting to calm a man down....:)

(MONK UPDATE: After taking his first pill, Adrian is now calling himself "The Monk" and eating other people's food.)

Gee, well, this day was spent at work....so I really can't tell ya about life here today. I have an 11am live fantasy football draft on Yahoo! in the morning, and I promised the kids some chess action tomorrow evening. Yes, even the 7-year old likes chess. Cool!!

I've watched very little of the Olympics...does that make me Un-American? One reason is NBC's presentation. Let's tape the stuff, fill 7-11pm with prelims and filler, and show the good stuff just before midnight. Baseball has this same problem; their future audience is in bed long before the final is posted (All-Star Game, World Series, etc.). Sorry, I prefer live events, which they won't show on a B-level cable channel at 8am (sorry, Bravo...), they'll wait 'til prime time. It's business, I get that. Doesn't mean I have to subscribe though.....

I like both Olympics, but, forced with a choice, I'll take the Winter Games. GO CURLING!!

Shout outs and happy birthdays to my Governor's School buddy Julie Anne (tomorrow 8/21), my long-time friend Barbara's son, John Lloyd (also tomorrow--the big 4!!), and to my sister-in-law, who reaches an age of an undetermined nature on Monday, 8/23.

Music I'm listening to: "Abacab", Genesis (still...) :)

Top song: "Like it or Not" (CD cut 8)

Oh, and to close, I really don't plan to be too political here, unless it's weighing on my mind (see blog description at top)...and tonight it is.

SOMEONE NEEDS TO CHANGE JOHN KERRY'S DIAPER.

Bless his heart, let's not question his military service, even though people who are WERE ACTUALLY THERE WITH HIM. Then he calls on the FEC to stop 'em. Tell ya what, John, tell Moveon.org to do the same thing if you're really "above the fray".....didn't think so. We'll give the "Bush is Hitler" crowd a free pass, after all, they have their first amendment rights!

Same thing as if I said "Re-elect President Bush" from the pulpit. Barry Lynn and his cronies would scream for us to pay taxes. Yet during the primary season, a Sunday night newscast didn't go by without seeing one or more Democratic candidates in African-American church pulpits, being warmly greeted, introduced, and sometimes endorsed, by their man of the cloth.

Let's hold our breath and see how many of them get into hot water. Oh, that's right, their last name isn't Falwell.

*soap box put away*

All the best to you and yours....

Rob

PS: I've got to get to the Scruffy story sometime!

PPS: For more on the blindside of the week, click here

1 comment:

Leah Simone said...

Absolutely the only sports I will watch is the Olympics. I agree that NBC's coverage is lame. If I wasn't a late-nighter I would've missed most of it!