Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Sure you can go home again....if only for about 45 minutes....

Now that I'm beginning to learn how to post pics on my blog (and we've finally been able to download stuff from our digital camera since our dock died), I'm playing a little "catch-up".

Looking back on 2004 thus far, I know this event is among the highlights. Going to a vacant house. Sounds nuts, eh? I know, next time I'll top it with watching grass grow.

But, it just so happens that it's not just any vacant house....

It begins one day reading the real estate section during our 74th attempt to find a bigger house, when I came across an ad describing a house that sounded alot like the old parsonage I grew up in. After some 'Net searching, I got my answer. My old house was up for grabs! Oh, if I were independently wealthy, it wouldn't have lasted five minutes on the market!!!

So, I send out an e-mail to the realtor explaining who I was and asking if there was any way I could get a "showing" for my family. I get a reply; turns out I grew up with this lady! Jill explained that there was an offer on the home and the former owner had vacated. She'd see what she could do.

After getting permission from the seller, we hit the road one Saturday morning after Jill called and said "I'll meet you there at 10." As usual, Mom was working Saturday morning, so the three of us (Dad, Robbie, and Rachel) head northwest to familiar territory.

Now I must take a moment and go even further back to set the scene. My dad pastored the church which owned the parsonage for 21 years. I was one of those weird preacher's kids who actually lived in one place my entire childhood. Due to health issues, he had to retire shortly after I moved off to college. I got the news in Massachusetts one night, flew home the following weekend to visit and meet, along with Dad, with church officials (the situation wasn't pretty by this point). So, I leave the house Sunday October 27, 1985 to get to the airport to return to school, thinking I'd be back at Thanksgiving.

Within two weeks, my folks were out of the house and out of the church. My brother and sister-in-law came up from Carolina to help in what turned out to be "speed-packing" to leave and head to an apartment in Richmond. That was where I came "home" to at Thanksgiving (talk about a shock).

Bottom line, I never had the chance to say "good-bye" to the only home I'd ever known. Being a highly nostalgic person, this mattered to me ALOT.

Many times I had thought of writing a letter to "current owner" and asking him/her if I could come see the old homestead, but I never got the gumption to do it. (The church sold the parsonage in the late 80s and built a new one beside the church)....so this was, indeed, a "God-send" opportunity, and, what's better, the kids get to see where Dad wore diapers, ate Spaghettios, played golf, and listened to loud music...

We arrive at the house at precisely 10:01am. Jill is there and is more than gracious, letting us in and telling us to take our time and enjoy. We took her up on it. For the next 45 minutes I took my kids on a "living history" tour of sorts....

What was most striking was the seller of the home had practically done nothing to the property. The bad news with that is (and Jill warned me about this in advance) the home was not in good condition and was in need of several HGTV crews. The good news, though, was the house looked almost EXACTLY like it did from 1967 to 1985.

So, I show the kids the living and dining rooms, the fireplace in the living room, the picture window where I used to watch snow fall and pray to hear Hanover County Schools were closed on WRVA radio. The same hanging fixture light was in the dining room. I couldn't believe it.

Kitchen? Same. We laid a "new" linoleum floor around 1977, and it was still there, along with the wooden cabinets and the back door.

Down the hall to, first, my old room. Once shared with my brother, this space WAS home. It's where I slept, watched TV, listened to countless hours of music (with headphones), played Nerf basketball, and more. It sure looks smaller when you see it nearly 20 years after childhood ended!! :)

We visit my parents' room, then the back bedroom (once my sister's, later an office), and then I explain to the kids how we all shared ONE bathroom. I don't think they comprehended it very well....
Heck, the same mirrors we hung in there still were, well, hanging around...

Then, down the hall to the basement door. The most poignant moment came when I opened the door. The kids started down the steps and I froze for a moment. The basement "smell" was exactly the same as it was 20 plus years ago (and it wasn't a bad smell, just a familiar one, reminding you that you're home...). Then I joined them downstairs, showed the kids where I used to play putt-putt indoors, where Uncle Frank and I would play indoor hockey with a tennis ball and real golf clubs (and destroy each other's shins in the process...) and where Dad's "stuff" used to be, including the legendary pool table (they want one really bad!)

The door leading out of the basement to the back yard was broken, but usable, and we next stepped outdoors to Dad's baseball field/football field/golf course. We walked around, checked out Nana's old clothesline, and took more pictures.

Back in for a few more moments, then I knew it was time to go. Jill had an appointment soon and she had been SO kind to allow us to do this.

Robbie gets some photos of me and Rachel and finally, one of just me, on my old front porch. Then, after some conversation with Jill, including reassurance that the new owners would be great caretakers, we headed off. But, of course, not before I looked at the house, said thank you to God for this incredible opportunity, and then, 18 1/2 years later, I said good-bye....

We passed it the other week while riding around during vacation. There's a new front door, and a new shed in the back yard. So far, so good!

TODAY'S NEWS: Rachel took pictures!! We got the x-rays done. Even better news....no cavities for both Rachel and Robbie!! I'm a proud papa.....Robbie's adventures with braces is pending. I'm so sorry he was "blessed" with my family's teeth (me, and his Papa especially...)

Well, much other stuff to do, mail to open, a fantasy football league blog to begin, and more, but alas, sleep is next on the docket. Tomorrow is going to be a long day at the station....

Thanks for letting me drag you down memory lane....the pics below are from the trip.

Good day!

Rob

No comments: