Friday, August 13, 2004

I Should Have Known.....

My first friend died a year ago today. I distinctly remember how I got the news, how I immediately fell into "console" mode when my Sunday School teacher told (ironically at the gravesite of another funeral), and how, while walking away with the kids down the long path to Dad's old church, it began to sink in.

First thing I did upon getting home was get online to confirm the news, and there it was. Suicide, we were told. I couldn't get to the funeral the next day in NC, I had service at church to handle.

So I was so honored to be asked to speak at a memorial service for Mike the following weekend back home in Beaverdam. God was gracious and got me through it, and I got to see alot of wonderful people. My heart broke for his parents, who were basically my 2nd parents growing up, and his sister, but especially for his children, who were left with many questions.

I also got to see other friends from days gone by. Paula (she, Mike and I were the three amigos at church growing up) and I are in touch again (she moved recently back home to Beaverdam---lucky!), I saw several people from AC Church days, and I had a long talk with Leah, who agreed w/me that it just didn't seem possible he would take his own life.....

....the weeks go by and more questions arise....and now, a year later, there's a PI on the case and the possibility of some cover-up. One day the truth will be told, here or Home in Heaven, and I can't wait for the day when it is revealed and justice is served.

Until such time, Mike, see ya soon, for exciting paper football action that'll never end!

Michael Edwin Crisp (1967-2003)

--Didn't really watch much Olympic opening stuff tonight; I spent more time with biographies of Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan and the 100 Greatest Songs in Film History. Bonnie was out w/Stephanie doin' the girl thing....Rachel and I played chess (chess at age 7, pretty good!) and we watched the Charley news.

After going through Isabel last year my heart and prayers go out to the Floridians going through this mess tonight....

G'night....time for Saturday sleep in!!!

No comments: