Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Something new, something not ready....

My wife talked with the principal of our new elementary school today. It was supposed to be "moving in" day. Now maybe it's next week. Whenever it is, it sounds like she and the kids will get plenty of time to learn the lay-out of the land.

They've volunteered to help the office (or anyone else) move in and get settled. Believe it or not, the kids are excited about it! Even Robbie, who will have no other connection to Greenwood but his sister. The principal was excited about that and the fact Bonnie wants to volunteer in the office this year. I agree with her that it's a great change of pace while still being involved at our daughter's school, without all the politics of a parent-teacher group. My jury is still out on whether I'll volunteer this year; though if needed, I won't turn away. If there are plenty of helpers (especially new blood), I will be glad to stand on the sidelines, cheer, and pitch in wherever needed.

I got the feeling over the last year at Longdale some people thought Bonnie and I were on some sort of power trip. Give me a break! If I'm gonna have a power trip over something, it better have a large financial reward attached, and, last I checked, volunteering didn't involve that!

Since Robbie entered kindergarten oh those many years ago, my desire has been to help my childrens' school, their administration and staff, and, most importantly, the kids. The only power trip I need is to see a youngster in the hallway and have them say hi to me, either as "Robbie's dad", "Rachel's dad", or just "Mr. Witham". That is so satisfying. Plus I have to spend time around the people who educate my child; I must know them at least some, since they see my child more than I do on many weekdays.

I know I'll be involved in the "PTA or PTO" decision coming the first of the year when the parent-teacher group is formed. I have very definitive feelings on the subject (pro-PTO), but I'm gonna support and volunteer no matter what the acronym.

Right now, my biggest fear is the kids having to maneuver around large men named Fred or Bubba trying to finish construction after the school year starts.

Let it be said, though, that we do, and will, miss our home of 7 years, Longdale Elementary School. Go Tigers!!

HELP NEEDED: My elementary alma-mater, Beaverdam Elementary, is raising money to purchase a "Weatherbug" weather station to help students learn about weather, plus serve as a real time weather source for area residents. I think it's a great idea! Click here for all the info.....


Rachel's Music Today: Soundtrack to The Lizzie McGuire Movie. She bought it with her yard sale proceeds. Don't tell her I wrote this, but they'll be playing that song "This Is What Dreams Are Made Of" in hell. What an awful song! (though Rachel sings it very well)

Robbie's Highlight: Wear Spiderman's Glove. Apparently it makes him cool. Fine by me...better than being forced to wear Spiderman Under-Roos, which I never owned by the way...

Oh, and less than 135 hours to go until my right arm's freedom hearing at the orthopedic surgeon's office. If freed, we're having a "sling-burning" ceremony (like a mortgage burning, 'cept it takes less than 30 years...), and you're all invited!

TOMORROW'S HEADLINE: Shocking Development: Thunder and Lightning may be in our area! Rare, rare event!

Oh, and remind me to tell you about Scruffy....

Rob :)

No comments: