Friday, April 13, 2007

In North Carolina.....to say thank you.

Grannie Frank passed away at 5am Wednesday morning after being taken back to the hospital earlier in the night for fear of pneumonia settling in.

We didn't make the visitation tonight (I didn't get away from work until going on 7pm) and we hit the road a little after 8. Hotel room is great so far (I'm sitting on the bed as I type!)

Funeral is later today at 11am at Barbours Chapel Advent Christian Church. I'll be a pallbearer. Then, later in the day, we're determined that the kids will have some fun before spring break ends (we were originally booked to be in a hotel in Virginia Beach tonight). We're right beside the huge shopping complex (used to be called the Carolina Pottery) here in Smithfield; the Ava Gardner Museum is downtown, about two miles away, and there's a new 10-screen cineplex behind the hotel.

Oh, and the indoor pool here. I think we'll find something to do. :)

BUT--I MUST EXPRESS MY FURY against the Smithfield Herald's website, which is operated by the News and Observer of Raleigh. Grannie's obituary had two errors:

1) It said visitation would be Thursday, 7p to 9p, at the funeral home. Quick question: Which funeral home??

2) But MUCH WORSE, she is listed as being survived by her four daughters. Her oldest daughter was my Mama....who died 12/28/2002. I hit the roof when I saw that on their online obituary section and immediately emailed the managing editor. I'll be interested if they publish a correction. They sure need to; that's a complete insult to the memory of my mother.

So, back home Saturday afternoon...and back to work and school Monday. It's been a weird spring break for the kids. I hope we can finish it with a bang.

Live at the Best Western Smithfield Inn, Smithfield, North Carolina....good night!

2 comments:

kenju said...

My condolences. I am really glad that you got to see her so recently. The fault in the obit may lie with the person who called it in to the paper; if not, make them print a correction!

Anonymous said...

Well, it is 6:15pm on Friday evening, and I am BEAT. It has been a real emotional whirlwind for the last two weeks. But just a note to say thanks for your support and being here when it counted! Grannie really loved you and Bonnie and the kids. Every time I or Tammy went to see her, that was one of the first things she would ask, how you were!!!

I have become all to familiar with being a pallbearer for this family. I sure hope Grannie was my last one for a long long time. (The old shoulder and back aren't what they used to be) I know she would have appreciated you being there with me today as we lay her to a peaceful rest with Grandaddy.

I know you will be blogging tonight, and I am sure you will see this. Have a safe trip home tomorrow and again, thanks!!!!!