Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Ellen....

...good job.

If a gay person's life is supposed to be as normal as a heterosexual's life, then I must commend Ellen DeGeneres on the fabulous job of simply being her. She is, whether you agree with the premise or not, living her public life based on that belief. She doesn't flaunt her sexual preference like she did ten years ago (remember Anne Heche?), she just goes about her career.

She's funny, has a successful talk show, and dances better than me. And she acts in a way that reinforces her belief on the normalcy of the gay lifestyle.

And that's one reason why Ellen is still in daytime talk....and Rosie is about to exit again.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well...as a gay man, I'd say that the lives of gay folks are pretty much like everyone else's -- we have jobs and houses and bills and loves, etc.

The only word of caution I would offer is that often when heterosexuals say "flaunt," what they often mean is that the gay person is just being open about their loves, just like heteros themselves are.

I would say that I don't really want ANYone to flaunt their sexuality in a public arena -- but being open about who you're dating or involved with doesn't count as flaunting, in my (not so humble) opinion :)

Hope this didn't sound like I was on a soapbox -- I was just making a general point.