Monday, April 09, 2007

An Easter to remember, for good and bad reasons....

We spent Easter in North Carolina. We enjoyed a wonderful service at my brother's church, where he's currently filling in while the search for a Pastor continues. The Easter sermon--as Dick Vitale would say, "Awesome baby! With a capital "A"!!"

On the way to church, a different story. As we come to a "T" (our road ends at another), we begin to see unfold in front of us the results of a four-car accident that had obviously just happened. One car heading north with its front end completely crinkled in with someone trapped inside. A second car now in the deep ditch on the other side of the road, damaged. A third car hit, and now on the grass at the southwest corner, with a lady injured, down on the ground and in shock, and, honestly, I can't remember where car #4 was.

I was among the first to call 911; we stayed a few minutes to see rescue personnel begin to arrive, as did a few others who had come up on the scene. It was horrible; people on their way to Easter Services (you could tell by their clothing) and now this; probably the worst accident I've seen.

And if you have a problem digging there's a God, believe this. We were to leave my brother's house for church at 10:30 and my wife had decided to put her makeup on in the van to keep us from being later. Then, a change of mind just before leaving. That puts us in the van at 10:32.

Two minutes? It can make a huge difference.

I've checked all the news sources I know of in New Bern and have not seen any coverage, so I'm hoping that is good news and there were no serious injuries. If there weren't, it is nothing short of an Easter miracle.

Tammy tells us of another way to the church, and we get there to find out several of the rescue workers worship there, so when the page went out, beepers went off everywhere with people racing out of the church.

One thing I thought that was pretty cool was that first response volunteer workers, some of them, arrived in what looked like their own vehicles, which also contained all the equipment and apparently markings, so that you'd know it was rescue if it came up behind you on the road; I don't remember for sure about the markings. We explained to Rachel that Craven County is different from Henrico County, in that Henrico has more money (close to city, more population) and has more "rescue vehicles", where there they used other means.

God bless those willing to sacrifice their Easter Sunday service for those whose Easter went very wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the day went well. There is a decent Golden Corral in the world (it's NOT in Richmond!). The New Bern location, and the Smithfield location, are the two I will frequent. Moms and kids went to the movies and do a "Flat Stanley" tour of downtown New Bern, while bro and I chilled, watched some hockey, some Masters.....

...and I was very happy to see Zack Johnson win. What a great story.

And, the trip home went well, too. One quick note; we stop in Tarboro to gas up, and after paying at the pump, I went in to buy a Coke. The lady there was unbelievably nice; showing me where the soft drinks were (on the opposite side of the store than the beer, et al, which was unusual), and asking me if I was on my way home. I whispered, "yes, ma'am."

"Have a safe trip", she replied, in the nicest manner possible.

I love North Carolina. You'd think I was born there or lived there for years. I've not lived one day as a "resident" of North Carolina...but thanks to all my family ties, I'll do what they do for famous people when they come speak at college commencements....

I'll make myself a "honorary" citizen! How I know I deserve this? I killed (gulp) an entire pint of Smithfield BBQ at work for "brunch" today.

BBQ...pig out...what symmetry. :)

1 comment:

kenju said...

Are you trying to force a heart attack? A whole pint of barbecue? Shame on you!

But bless you for being in the right place at the right time for those poor people. And kiss your wife for delaying you those 2 minutes.