Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Song #417: "Kung Fu Fighting"--Carl Douglas (1974)

Remember K-Tel?

Of course, you do!  If you are at least, ahem, a certain age, of course.

In late 1974, it was this song appearing on the K-Tel record "Out Of Sight" on a television commercial that had me searching for coins underneath couch cushions, doing whatever I could to collect $4.99 so I could get my hands on this album, which would be the first one I had ever owned.

Though I didn't really watch the show, I later proudly took my "Kung Fu" lunch box to school as well. This was one of the first songs I really went ga-ga over, and, though its sheen has lost some glisten over the decades, I still have a special place in my heart for Carl Douglas' masterpiece, made in the last ten minutes of a recording session as an afterthought, until someone at the record company said, make it the Side A song.

Good decision, it went number one around the world and sold eleven million copies. :)


No comments: