Saturday, May 28, 2016

Song #392: "Cool Change"--Little River Band (1979)

We first heard "LRB" in 1975 with a minor hit, "It's A Long Way There", an eight plus minute extravaganza. Two years later, "Help Is On Its Way" solidified the Little River Band on the American music scene.

Then, in 1979, the release of "First Under The Wire". On the heels of 1978 hits "Lady" and "Reminiscing", the group was on a roll. And while we may focus later on the first single from this LP, today we salute the second single, which came out in the latter portion of 1979, peaking in the Billboard Hot 100 at #10 early in 1980. (It's amazing how much good music was coming through at this time as we transitioned out of disco, and into both new wave and the "Urban Cowboy" country craze...)

I'm scared of the water, you can't get me on a boat. Except one time, on a small craft helping out on a weekend youth retreat on the Chesapeake Bay back in 1991. I was petrified every moment I was on that boat. If I ever got over that fear (and maybe learned to swim), the first thing I'd do is get on a craft and play this song at full blast.  :)


No comments: