Sunday, May 08, 2016

Song #412: "157 Riverside Avenue"--REO Speedwagon (1971)

I used to have some very special weekends in my late elementary and early junior high school days. That's what happens when you have a cool older brother. :)

So, I spent lots of time listening to his extensive record collection, which led me to discover this gem. Originally just a four minute song on their 1971 debut release, this tune took on a life of its own at REO Speedwagon concerts. A seven-plus minute version appeared on the "You Get What You Play For" live release in 1977, but the real gem, a 12-plus minute extravaganza, came out on a compilation album in 1980.

And that's the version I grew to love. I cannot begin to fathom how many times I jammed to this song. We, unfortunately, do have a dirty word alert, and, yes, I'm not so vain to where I can't publicly admit that, at age 12, I didn't understand all the blatantly sexual references going on. I just loved the interaction between Kevin and Gary.....and Gary's guitar. And the music. From this first note, it has "jam" written all over it.

If you've never heard it, invest 12 minutes. You'll either be transported back to the 1970's, or get a taste of what they were like, if you're still a youngster in this world.  :)

P.S.--This is NOT the longest song in the Rob Witham 500.


No comments: