Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Song #396: "Got To Get You Into My Life"--The Beatles (1966)

I fully admit to being late to the Beatles party.

But, it's not my fault. Being born in the Summer of 1967, there wasn't a lot of time left in their reign as king of music in the 1960's. So, rather, my discovery of the Beatles came from this little two-record set below:


This set came out in June, 1976 as I was finishing up the third grade. That summer was filled with Bicentennial stuff, including my first taste of "Cherry Cola Slurpees", and a new wave of Beatles nostalgia. Paul McCartney and Wings were hot at the time (in fact they kept this album from topping the charts, peaking at #2), and overall there was still a prevalent sense of hope that, one day, "The Beatles Reunion" would occur.

To promote this release, Capitol Records made today's song the single from the LP (with "Helter Skelter" as the B-side, not long from the debut of CBS' mini-series of the same name based on the Charles Manson murders), so this song was really my "introduction" to the Beatles. Had I heard some of their songs before? Yes, but after this one, and then listening to both LP's, I became immersed in them.

It's the second Beatles tune to crack our Top 500.....and there will be more. Interestingly, the version from this release isn't on YouTube, so let's enjoy McCartney's rendition at the White House several years back instead.


No comments: