Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Word of the Year is......

...according to Merriam-Webster, "w00t".

What? Never heard of it. The definition?

"expressing joy (it could be after a triumph, or for no reason at all); similar in use to the word "yay."

Example: w00t! I won the contest!



Well, I guess "w00t for w00t". What a stupid word of the year.

-------------------------------

Back on December 5, I gave you a link to the contest and to the definitions of the ten finalists, and said I'd tell you who I voted for after the Word of the Year was announced.

Well, here goes.


BLAMESTORM


---blamestorming

(verb) : Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.


(verb) : Gathering around in a group to discuss why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who is to blame or responsible.
"All the managers were locked up in a meeting for the all day blamestorming about the lost contract."

(other) : A meeting held in order to come up with a name of a person to assign guilt to a certain incident.
"The board of directors where exhausted after a four hour blamestorming session which finally resulted in two names for the chopping block."


And if, by the power of reason and deduction, you can't figure out why this was a no-brainer choice for me for Word of the Year, leave me a comment. I'll school ya on it. :)

2 comments:

carmilevy said...

I'm still scratching my head over the woot thing. I fear that language as we know it is being distilled into irrelevance. Pretty soon, the text messagers will have excised the subtle nuances of the written word and replaced them with unintelligible collections of letters.

The writer in me lives in fear of this day.

dirtyword.net said...

Get Your 'w00t.' shirts, hats, buttons, mugs, stickers, magnets, mousepads, and more at w00t.dirtyword.net