Sunday, December 23, 2007

One year = 52 weeks = 71 pounds....

Thank you, Lap Band!

I offer that sentiment on behalf of my wife, as well as me.

Over a year ago, when wifey decided to green light having the Lap-Band procedure, I was happy for one reason.

Health.

I've known her grandmother for 20 years; she's very overweight and I normally see her only sitting in a chair.

I did not want wifey ending up in that position, knowing how active she loves to be and how much (but she's NOT RUSHING IT!) she looks forward to running around with and spoiling grandkids.

So, I supported her 100 percent. I can assure my support had nothing to do with looks. Had that been the case, I never would have dated her, much less said "I Do".

So, today, we are one year and two days removed from her surgery. And where's wifey?

---she still has a couple of tiny scars (no big deal, she doesn't like bikinis and trust us, the Lap-Band procedure IS minimally invasive).

---she has radically revolutionzed how she eats and drinks (I'm SO proud of her; I wish I had that kind of gumption and courage)

---and, well, she's down 71 pounds. That's just over a quarter of the weight she carried into the surgical procedure.

The first 10-20 weeks, she would get down sometimes if there wasn't a weight loss of a pound on any certain morning, and I would have to remind her:

If you lose one pound a WEEK, you lose 52 pounds in the first year.

She stopped obsessing, stopped weighing herself every single morning, and focused on diet and walking. And now? Try 19 pounds MORE than 52!!

She stole the show at Rachel's elementary school open house in September (she lost quite a bit of that weight over the summer), turned heads in November when we visited our old church home, and she's a different lady.

I still love doing, well, you know....even though there is now much less of her to love. :) :)

Congrats, wifey!!! I love you!! Now, I need to catch up.

CLICK THE LINK at the top of the post for details on the Lap-Band procedure. Note that you cannot just "have" it done; you must meet eligibility guidelines and initial screenings.

No comments: