Sunday, May 21, 2006

It's my 25th anniversary....so I'll give the present!!

May 17, 2006.

The Innsbrook Pavilion, Glen Allen, Va.

Here come the Go-Go's!!

Belinda, Kathy, Jane, Charlotte and Gina hit the stage around 8:15pm, and to use a term stolen by a country song...."and the crowd goes wild."

Surprising that Our Lips Are Sealed is the first out of the box. I didn't think they'd start with one of their "big four". But as the show went on, it made perfect sense.

Belinda's first time talking to us gave us a surprise. She mentioned it was the 25th anniversary of "Beauty and the Beat"....and proceeded to announce they were going to play the album in its entirety. So, the girls come from L.A. to Richmond on their 25th anniversary and give us the gift. Sweet!! Even though I was not familiar with some of the songs, I enjoyed hearing them for the first time.

At the end, they hit We Got The Beat, which was, of course, the definitive crowd pleaser. They scored well with the song, not only for its hit value, but for their dead-on performance. Then, THE highlight of the show-----as the crowd raucously applauded WGTB......the first piano sounds begin, and immediately tears well up in my eyes, as "Head Over Heels" gets underway.

This song was the best performance of the night by far-----and when the bridge came, lots and lots of hands over heads doin' the clap. Then, after the last chorus, the ladies get into a major jam, playing the last two lines of the song about, oh, eight times.

Kathy was mean on the bass, Charlotte and the piano, incredible. What a job.

The rest of the show proceeded with more hits and B-cuts from albums two and three.

The BIGGEST problem I had all night was that Rachel couldn't see all the band play! Everyone stands during shows at Innsbrook, which is not a good thing for 9 year-olds. So, late in the show, I told Rachel to follow me. (I told her earlier in the show I'd get her to a place where she could see them, if it was the last thing I did). We moved down the left hand side....made it up front to the beer stand (thank God closed by this time), then about ten feet to the front railing parallel to the stage.

We inched and inched our way, and, finally, Rachel said she could see!! Great vantage point, even when almost in line with the stage. Lots of Jane, Kathy and Belinda, and Charlotte when not covered by a pole. So, getting to see the last part that close to the stage was cool.

Oh, and the first time they left the stage.....I turn around at the railing and realize the circle of ladies huddled and talking about 20 feet away were.....yep. Showed Rachel, then we headed for the exit. Rachel wanted to stop in the back to hear the encore, and so we did. After the last note, we head for home.

Right now, Head Over Heels has significance for me; the lyrics saying so much about the complete whirlwind I find myself in.

....and just remembered that I had forgotten about my heart.

No comments: