Friday, May 12, 2006

Elliott, Elliott, Elliott, Eliott.....you get the idea.....

I've lived in the Richmond area for basically my entire life and have seen some interesting things happen, come, and go.

--Kepone
--First Black Governor
--Richmond Braves Great Eight of 1993
--Tropical Storm Gaston
--Tropical Storm Agnes
--Blizzards
--Larry "Bud" Melman
--and others......

When Chevy Chase films a music video with Paul Simon in your Christmas parade, that's pretty cool.

When Arthur Ashe is a long-time hero and favorite son, you're proud.

When a 1992 Presidential Debate occurred here, that was pretty wild.

But then there was today.

One year ago he's behind the counter of a pharmacy in town, and had he come to the station to pick up a prize he'd won on the air, no one would have noticed.

Now, one year, an audition, and several televised concerts later, Elliott Yamin has officially become the number one citizen of Richmond, Va.

He came by our place this morning to interview briefly on two stations. He ran about 45 minutes late, which caused me to wonder if I would have to park a mile away at the Taco Bell. Thankfully, there was a plot of grass on which to park the van. The front parking lot is filled with balloons, Elliott crazies, TV satellite trucks, etc. Heck, our employee of the month couldn't get to his spot!

So, we're directed on Thursday about where to go/where not to go in the building while he's there; no going to the second floor where the studios are, no autographs, etc...etc.....

That's fine by me. I get there, watch the frenzy as I drive past and go to the back parking lot, pass all those cars, and, as Phil Keaggy once sang, you could "Find Me In These Fields".

Don't use the front entrance. No sweat. I knew nothing was in my mailbox since I left at 10:30 last night, so I go in the back door. My office is nowhere near the hallway that was being cleared for his comings and goings. I was happy to see that the nearby kitchen was open so I could grab an all important fork for the cheesecake (breakfast of champions, baby!!)

My best friend who REALLY wanted to meet him came in shortly thereafter, and, no, she didn't get to see him either. She was bummed.

I was confused.

Cool story--local guy goes Hollywood, comes out of nowhere, does good, and the thing I personally like about him is he does not even come close to "looking" like a star.

You know what I mean....like tonight when the wife had "Las Vegas" on, how many female characters weighed more than, say, 104 pounds? Well, that's exaggerating, how 'bout 130? I didn't see in size 10 women gambling! Must be something in the fat cells that once you reach a certain size, you completely lose the desire to gamble and watch people make blooming idiots of themselves.

But I'm not hear to talk Las Vegas---if the hotshots in Hollywood, or, better yet, in the music industry, had their way, he would never had seen the light of day. So, cheers and kudos to Mr. Yamin for proving everyone has talent, and some people are even smart enough not to put in irrelevant qualifications.

Having said all that, this day long event of appearances for him throughout Richmond; I've never seen people go nuts like this. Never. Two reasons that I can think of, I guess:

---He's one of us. I work with someone who worked with him at another radio station years ago. People 'round here KNOW him. That makes a difference.

---He gives a shot in the arm to a city whose reputation always needs one. He spent the day thanking so many people around town, as he should, but the Greater Richmond Convention and Visitors Bureau should be on their knees thanking him for something we don't get very much as a city.......good press.

So, as for me?

---I don't watch Idol.
---The eventful day was just a minor, minor inconvenience (could have been MUCH worse).
---I hope he wins.
---Then, for God's sake, I hope he gets back to Richmond long enough to make my co-worker's dream come true.

.....she wants to have his baby.

Funny, I don't remember hearing anyone say that about Bush 41, Clinton or Perot in 1992.....but, then again ladies, would you have wanted to??

No comments: