Friday, December 10, 2004

Who wears shorts? I wear shorts!!

I finally realized something today....since I'm one of probably only 12 people (other than football coaches) in the Richmond area to still be wearing shorts daily, I should pay more attention to the looks I get while I'm in public, say, at the grocery store.

I'm in Ukrop's this AM after taking the kids to school, quickly getting Rachel's lunch to take back to Greenwood, and as I'm leaving, I saw a lady look at me strangely. Could be because of the blue "lunch bag" I still use to hold my stuff (first out of habit, now because my shoulder condition has worsened), but I predict it has more to do with my fashion.

God gave me a furnace and a half when He made me. Not hot-tempered, I'm talkin' physical temperature. I'm always warm, always. In our office at work, which I share with three wonderful ladies (they have to be wonderful to put up with me!), they are constantly cold, using jackets, coats, even blankets! I, every day, start my morning in the office by....turning on my fan. I'm sure I would adore attending the Late Show with David Letterman, since he purportedly has his studio kept at a balmy 56 degrees. :)

So, as long as it's over 40 degrees when I leave in the morning (known as the "over 40" rule), the shorts go with me. It's nice to be able to be comfortable after years of shirts and ties.

The "thunderstorm" I referenced last night (or earlier this morning actually) was wild! One thunder clap shook the house, and I cannot believe no one woke up in this house! So, I enjoyed it, and, as I went to bed around 2am, I listened to the fading storm as the sleep apnea machine took over the audibility (is that a word??)

And on this date.....

December 10, 1999---I celebrated one month at WRVA on historic Church Hill by working my rear off getting more and more Christmas commercials ready for the final push!

December 10, 1986---(Historian's note: I believe 12/10 to be the date, as I believe this was done on a Wednesday...)

Continuing my edict of "spend as much time with my college friends as possible", Sharon Gathings and I had dinner together at the steakhouse between Pittsfield and Lenox, that, I understand, later burned down. Sharon was the sweetest lady (she was from North Carolina, what did you expect??); she let me use her car several times to get to the radio station for work, she was so caring and down to earth. I have no idea where she is today, but I look forward to hearing her story when we're reunited in the Kingdom. Whoever chose her for a wife was blessed.

December 10, 1983---The final performance of "A Christmas Carol", my junior year at PHHS. This would be the one time I'd attend a post-wrap party that was not handled by the Drama Director or another responsible adult. I actually wasn't planning to go; I took my girlfriend at the time home after we ate, and someone came into the restaurant looking for a friend of ours. I ended up stopping by the party before going home to look for aforementioned person....yikes. Can you say lots of booze? Oh, and there's so and so and so and so making out in the next room with the window shade wide open so I can see them from the outside! Party! Heh, heh....I remember someone was recording the main conversation and asked me if I wanted to imbibe....as I would do to a one-way ticket to Siberia, I declined.

I'm very glad I didn't get caught up in that scene in high school. NO, I wasn't perfect and had plenty of behavior faults, but did successfully navigate around the "pre-frat party" scene.

Well, off to the weekend...first sleep! Then visitors, and a long day at church on Sunday (Sunday School, church, go get lunch, Bonnie goes to ladies cookie swap while I hope to visit a shut-in parshioner and share communion) then back to church by 530 for play practice, where I hope I know at least two lines.....

And I hear a rumor that there's football on Sunday....I'll catch up on that late Sunday night.....

No comments: