Monday, December 20, 2004

T-Minus 5 Days 'til.....

Various thoughts pouring onto a keyboard on this December 20th:

--I haven't broken out my Christmas CD yet to enjoy my favorite "non-Bethlehem" Christmas tune, Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses. I had no idea until watching a VH1 show several months ago that Patty Donahue had died of cancer at the young age of 40. This song places me right back in high school, the days of counting down 'til Christmas break! Heh heh, those days are gone.....that's where I live now....

--Our play practice marathon went, I thought, pretty well, considering how far behind the curve I was and the horror stories I had heard about practices the previous Sunday and Thursday. The 2nd run-through went much better....if we can survive scene six, we'll be just fine. So, tomorrow night is the night...here's a look at how another church did the play we did in '03.....yep, we done good enough last year to do us what dey call a see-quill.....:)

--The kids are over with day one of Christmas Break (we don't call it "winter break" 'round here!), and Robbie was the first to declare boredom around 1pm today. That was not a smart move....

--Bonnie and the kids went to see "National Treasure" and raved about it, especially the kids. Robbie wants to see that Lemony thing....while I, honestly, want to see Fat Albert. Casting Kenan Thompson as Fat Albert is perfect, and it's cool that Cosby in it, too. I don't go to many movies, but this is one that captures my interest. Hope I'm not disappointed.

--My fantasy football team was eliminated from the playoffs last night...by none other than MY WIFE! 56-55, the final score. She goes on to the semi-finals, while my all-time playoff record finally has a blemish. I'd never lost a playoff game, until this one.....but did it have to be to HER? (hee hee....)

--NICE SNOW! I had been in a "thunder-snow" one other time, on the newspaper route early one morning in 1996. One of the rarer and stranger weather events you'll experience. Last night reminded me of it. We see the lightning in the distance on the Varina-Enon bridge on I-295, comment on it, and move on, rolling at 65 mph toward home in our SECOND loaner van (that's another story....), when, right after the I-64/Airport exit, the wall hit...literally.

I realized quickly I've got to slow down and FAST! I went off cruise, from 65, down to 50, and within probably a minute, down to 15 mph, and the road, during that time, had disappeared. Thus began a crawl through some of the heaviest snow you'll see, or, should I say, not see through. Visibility was horrible. After about five to seven miles, things got better, but it was still snowing very well, and the wind had picked up significantly, so 35-40 mph was the choice of the moment.

We ended up with an inch of snow, some icy roads this morning, and some cold temperatures. Heck, I even wore long pants and a coat to work today! :)

Time for: This date in Witham History!

December 20, 1986: My next to last day in Massachusetts, and I met a dream girl. Honest! I was up late all the time, either working at the radio station, or talking with my friend Mike, the overnight guy, so I'd listen to the radio lots after midnight, and I fell in love with the voice of FLY-92's overnight girl, Mary Sinclair. She sounded awesome. Finally, one night, Mike, Brett (another DJ friend), and I actually got on three extensions at the station and we called her. Had a wonderful conversation, and set a date for breakfast. So the three of us pile into the Chevette and headed to Albany, meeting Mary for breakfast. It was a wonderful time; I was glad to get to meet her before I moved back south....

December 20, 2002: The last time I would see Mama in lucid conversation. This was a Friday. She spent Saturday unconscious and I last spoke to her Sunday. Six days later, she left us. My brother and I, and the kids, took a break from the dread by taking in a Richmond Renegades game in the evening.

So this day brings good and bad memories....don't they all?

Good night. :)

No comments: