Monday, December 06, 2004

This week...way back when! :)

Busy times of year will inevitably bring up other busy years at this same time, and the events which took place....

1994: We're a week and a half into the "mysterious illness" of 94-95...starting Thanksgiving night and continuing almost every night 'til just after New Years, I'd feel sick, and never got sick.
Each day was the same; get up, do papers, go to work, get off the air at 6pm, and either on the way home or after getting home, I'd start to feel sick. Many evenings were spent not with my 2 year old, but sitting at the feet of the porcelain...well, you know...just waiting for the inevitable (and anyone who knows me can tell you, I'm pertrified of three things, snakes, bodies of water, and throwing up, and not necessarily in that order!)

...yet it would never happen. Looking back, I think acid reflux was beginning to rear its ugly head then, combined with exhaustion (we were several people short on staff at the radio station. I remember working Christmas Eve night, Christmas afternoon, and New Years Eve night that year. As January got underway, I got better, happy to say! :)

1986: I had made my decision weeks earlier to return to Virginia, even before my college announced its closing. So I did not take a class in December, and spent those last few weeks in Massachusetts spending time with friends I may never see again (and in almost all cases so far, I was right). Beth, a senior that year (thankfully the college made arrangements to finish out their year), and I headed out to see Fievel in "An American Tail", and of course, in a pre-cursor to the blubbery tub of emotional goo I've apparently become, I cry at "Somewhere Out There". It was because that song precisely described my fears about leaving Massachusetts, all my friends, and an incredible first radio job, and coming home to complete uncertainty as to future direction....well, that, and the usual 19 year old's wondering of relationships to come, and what would become of my life in that arena, too.

By the way, I still cry at "Somewhere Out There". Of course, I'm not surprised the theme to "Hannity and Colmes" hasn't brought me to tears by now....:)

1984: As mentioned last night, night one of my first senior year drama production, "Our Town". It was drama that really "broke me through" in high school. I never wanted to be "popular", but respected certainly was appreciated, and after doing "The 1940's Radio Hour" in 1983, people who usually had no interest in me were suddenly complimenting my performance, while other people who I didn't think would be my friend were becoming so. It wasn't because I was some great actor (yeah, right!)...I certainly hope it was I was found to be consistent, somewhat transparent, and halfway decent to be around. Like I said, popularity was never my bag (neither were trends, fashion or otherwise...I wanted to kill every Izod Alligator with my bare hands..), but I'm the type of person who can never have enough friends. I just love to know people.

So, that's one reason why I look back on drama in high school so fondly. It helped me w/self-esteem and socially, too. And by the way, being the "Manager" in Our Town, that meant TONS of lines, which, I never totally learned (I had a script backstage all 3 nights, the sheer number of lines were brutal!!)

1981: 9th grade and full of angst over why I couldn't win over the girl of my dreams.....when would I ever learn?? :)

This pursuit was almost a year old now. We ended up never dating, but now, 23 years later, we're like brother and sister, I performed her marriage ceremony, and she remains one of my few contacts from back in my school days. Ginny, you rock! :)

And a year ago today, being a Saturday....I was probably napping.

Why am I like Sherman and Peabody in the way-back machine?? We'll just see where we go.....

OH, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! IN CLOSING:

I must make a public confession. I actually enjoy a Hillary Duff song. There. I said it. I can't deny it. I feel better.

"Party Over" is the song; I think it's from Metamorphosis, which Rachel proudly owns. It's got a good guitar lick, fine hook, and great chant-along lines of "nah-nahs". Right down bubble gum alley, and you know, a bubble gum tune ain't so bad once in a while...(right, Toni Basil??)

No comments: