Saturday, December 25, 2004

Johnny Oates: Thanks for your faith

An incredible testimony of God's grace and love came to a triumphant end around 2am Christmas Eve in downtown Richmond at MCV Hospital. Johnny Oates, once a figure on a baseball card I liked because he once played for my favorite team, the Baltimore Orioles, but in recent years, one who had become an embodiment of trust in God that few people attain, went home to spend Christmas with Jesus.

Johnny grew up in Prince George County where I pastor, and one of his best friends was Wayne Collins, one of our church members, and the first person I ever spoke to from the church when they first asked me to fill their pulpit in spring 1996 for a few Sundays when they were without a pastor. They played ball together, and kept in touch for 40 years, even though Johnny spent the bulk of it away from home, first, playing for several teams, then, in the early 1980's, turning to managing.

Wayne and his wife Greta (our Christmas play director extraordinaire), were great friends with Johnny and his wife, Gloria. Wayne coached ball at his alma mater for years, then left to become a successful insurance salesman, and continues to be to this day. His company would hold a conference yearly in Dallas, so, of course, when Johnny managed the Rangers, that meant a chance to catch up with his friend.

It also gave me a connection two years later. I went to our denomination's annual conference, held that year in Minneapolis, and it just so happened that, the weekend I arrived, the Texas Rangers were in town to play the Minnesota Twins. So thanks to a phone call from the Collins' to a certain man named Oates, there was a ticket waiting for me at the Sunday afternoon game.

I'll never forget walking through downtown Minneapolis (it's beautiful), past the big hotels, near the Target Center, right past the Pillsbury headquarters, winding up at the Metrodome. I'd never been in a dome before. I got my ticket at will call, and arrived early enough to watch batting practice.

Why? 'Cuz that was my chance to see and thank Johnny. I was so far from the field, I was to yell "Prince George" to get his attention, and before they headed to the dugout, I went over and yelled the aforementioned signal. He saw me and I thanked him. Unfortunately, the Rangers lost that day. :(

Then during the 2001 World Series, Johnny was doing a live radio interview at his home when he suddenly fell ill and had to quit the interview. He was taken to MCV, where the initial brain cancer diagnosis was found.

I won't attempt to recreate the last three years, his own story does it much better. I recommend the following article, and I also urge you to go to a search engine and type in "Johnny Oates Cancer" and I'm sure you'll find stories of the most important part of his three year fight, his faith.

I only saw him twice after the diagnosis; first when I conducted the funeral of Wayne's father, Glenn, only 3 months after the diagnosis. Despite his ailment, he was there for his longtime friend.

Then, when our church participated in the Relay For Life for the American Cancer Society in Petersburg in June, 2003, Johnny came out and made it around the track for one lap with other cancer survivors.

He wanted to see his daughter marry, and got to walk her down the aisle. He wanted to spend time with his wife and family, and did, and I'm sure he packed more living in three years than alot of people do in 30.

Most of all, his testimony of faith in Jesus in spite of the current and the inevitable, was incredible. Johnny won't know the full impact of his faith until we all get to heaven; I can't wait to see the fruit. :)

Not bad for a guy who only hit 14 homers, and said himself he couldn't run or throw.

The title of this blog is now on the message sign at our church. Coming through Prince George heading to church last night, I thought I'd see a sign, or maybe a flag at half-staff, and didn't. I wanted to make sure he received a tribute quickly (and that's not a criticism; I'm sure the holiday had something to do with it). So, with our Christmas play over, we took that announcement down to pay tribute not to a native son, or a ballplayer or successful manager, but to a man and his faith, a faith that God rewarded here, and now, at home.

Bet he runs and throws pretty well now......

PS---Gloria, his widow, reports there is no "one" concerted effort to donate specific funds for brain cancer research. She has started a fund in memory of Johnny, and, after losing my mother to brain cancer at age 64 (Johnny was only 58), I want to back that 100 percent. Gloria also wants to raise funds to even better the Palliative Care Unit at MCV Hospital.

Make a donation to the following:

The Johnny Oates Memorial Fund
for brain tumor research and patient care
% The Bank of McKenney
PO Box 370
McKenney, Virginia 23872









No comments: