Saturday, December 04, 2004

6 months since the Moody Blues? Already?

Took the kids down to church this morning so they could take part in putting up the Christmas tree (they love doing that!), while I took the time to spend over an hour studying my Christmas play lines, then spent the rest of my time cleaning (there's way too much "junk" in the building...and I thought I was a packrat!)

By the way, after Mom put up our tree, the kids did all the decorating last evening.....:)

Anyway, while at church today, I realized it's already been six months since I spent the evening in the mud, muck and rain enjoying the music of the Moody Blues live for the second time. The first time was in October, 1986 at the Civic Center in Springfield, Mass.
I was a sophomore in college at the time, got tickets through the radio station I worked for, and a friend of mine from college (who, at 36, could remember the Moody's whole career, as opposed to me, who got into their work with 1981's Long Distance Voyager), and I climbed into my vintage '79 Chevette (yes, I typed "vintage", stop snickering...) and headed on the Mass Pike east.

Great show, with one glaring exception. That night they had a group of, I think, 3 back-up girl singers. They were "too much a part" of the show. And the guys weren't hitting their notes well, either, prompting me to think, "...so that's why the ladies are there, to prop them up..."

No such thing in 2004. 18 years later, and they sounded incredible! One member has retired, so a young lady has joined them doing some back-up singing, and playing the flute (which she did brilliantly). On their opening song, "Lovely To See You Again", she added to the song with her wonderful voice; a complete 180 from the distraction of the women's group back in Springfield.

I didn't mind sitting with an umbrella over my head all night trying to find a place with 4 blades of grass remaining. They did almost every one of my favorites, and, in a surprise, I didn't cry the entire concert. I've cried so much the last several months over events, things, people in my life, it makes me wonder if I've invented some sort of continuous male PMS or something.....

In a word---WOW. The Moody Blues were awesome, 35 plus years since their debut. And, trust me, if they come back near Richmond one more time, I'll be there, especially if they do a full concert with a symphony orchestra. They have combined with the Virginia Symphony Orchestra of Norfolk to do concerts in Virginia Beach. I'm hoping they'll do it one more time...'cuz if they do, wild horses will NOT keep me from being there. I cannot imagine hearing "Nights In White Satin" live and with a full orchestra. I'll melt, I just know I will.

By the way....PUT THE MOODY BLUES IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME FOR HEAVEN'S SAKES!!!!

There. I feel better now.

From that aforementioned "Long Distance Voyager" project, I leave you with part of the chorus of track six....

"22,000 days....22,000 days....
..it's not alot...it's all you got....
22,000 days....so this time feel the flow...
and get it right."

I'm glad I invested this day well.....my kids had a blast, I made the church look a little more presentable, I thought of dear friends, shed a tear, ate a great meal at a favorite restaurant, and got to blog.

All that, AND Virginia Tech won the ACC. Good Saturday, indeed!



No comments: