Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Song #354: "Walk Like An Egyptian"--The Bangles (1986)

In my final months working at WUPE/WUHN Radio in Pittsfield, Massachusetts before moving home from a closing college at the end of 1986, a video began appearing on MTV that occasionally made me forget to queue up the next song or get my commercial carts pulled for the next hour about to begin.

It would become a smash hit for The Bangles, the song people usually think of first when their name is mentioned. The video, for young American males, was must-watch for, duh, obvious reasons. But it was also a lot of fun, creating a brief dance craze as the calendar moved into 1987.

This is the second of five appearances on our Top 500 from this group, and I can go ahead and reveal that their breakthrough debut single from '86, "Manic Monday", is not one of them. I suspect, then, we'll be walking with The Bangles again down the road.  :)

(Full disclosure: I decided to come home three weeks before the college announced its closing to change career paths. Their shutdown just sealed the deal.)


No comments: