Monday, July 25, 2016

Song #334: "Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea"--Genesis (1983)

If you look on the "Genesis" album released in 1983, these tracks are listed separately.

The first time I heard "Home By The Sea" on the radio, it was not accompanied with "Second Home By The Sea". Man, the great deep cuts you would hear in my day on AOR (Album Oriented Rock) radio opened up an entirely new world of music to someone like me.

Once I heard them together, however, it became clear that it's very, very hard, as a fan, to play one without the other. So, to me, this is an eleven-minute suite of sorts.

This is Genesis' second appearance in our countdown, and there will be several more. When it comes to the actual 1980's, in real time, Genesis was the most influential band of the decade for me. My love for the Moody Blues has grown over a longer period of time.

I definitely regret never getting a chance to see these guys live, and I bet the tour supporting "Genesis", the album, was fantastic. Side A of the LP is a masterpiece, and the first three cuts of Side B are great, too. I guess you know by now that there's more of this album to come as the countdown continues.

You can catch the song(s), or suite, beginning at 11:18 on the video below.....


No comments: