Thursday, July 28, 2016

Song #331: "Backwards"--Rascal Flatts (2006)

I bow to the greatness of Marcel Francois Chagnon and Tony Mullins, who created this riot of a song, creating a fantastic caricature of country music, popularized by perhaps the hottest country act of a decade ago, Rascal Flatts.

First, a back story. I had a phenomenal friend at Clear Channel's ticket selling arm, Live Nation, in early 2007 who heard my plea to surprise my daughter Rachel with two tickets to see Rascal Flatts in concert for her tenth birthday.

Dee did so, so much better than two tickets. Rachel had no idea where we were going when we hit the road that Friday evening. As we approached Charlottesville, she looked at me and said, "Daddy, this is a long way to go to go out to dinner." I smiled. I had her.

We parked, walked up to John Paul Jones Arena, and, just before we entered, I handed her her ticket. I don't think I'll ever get a better or more surprised look on my baby's face than I did at that moment. Too bad we didn't have Instagram then.  :)

The seats, by the way, were at the front of the stage, which I didn't even realized when I received them. Rachel was in complete awe. She's just feet away from the band, which had a "mobile stage" which took them over top of us into the middle of the arena in the air. The pageantry and showmanship that night was unreal.

And, that's impressive because I'm selective on what country music I like. Basically, it has to be before 1982 with very few exceptions. I'm very old school country. But Rascal Flatts got my props and thanks that night for great entertainment and for shocking the living daylights out of Rachel.

Now, they didn't do today's song that night, and probably for good reason. Some songs I'm sure are just hard to do on the road live, night after night.

So, you want to know what happens to you when you play a country song backwards?

Just hit play below.  :) :)


No comments: