Sunday, July 17, 2016

Song #342: "Magic"--Pilot (1975)

Just for me personally, I think the best summers for music in the decade of the 1970's were 1975 and 1979. Today, we feature a song from the former, a summer where music helped me and my family escape some upheaval.

Early in the year, my parents separated. In late June, my dad suffered his first, and worst, heart attack at age 43. We almost lost him. I distinctly remember finally getting to visit him at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg for the first time on the Fourth of July that year.

He came home a couple of weeks later, my brother and I spending those weeks he was away with two of the greatest friends my brother could have. And while we spent hours outside playing baseball, football, walking through the woods, we also spent lots of time listening to music. That summer was dominated on our radio by "The Spirit of America--1480, WLEE". Yes, AM radio.  :)

Today's song is one of a large group of tunes from that unforgettable summer that made our countdown, this time from the Scottish group, "Pilot". In America, they were considered a one-hit wonder, as "Magic" reached #5 on the charts that summer.

Time to transport yourself back 41 years to this time in 1975. Gerald Ford is President, the Steel Curtain was celebrating its first Super Bowl title, and my brother's Philadelphia Flyers were still celebrating their second straight Stanley Cup title. Indeed, a little "magic" for his team, consisting of several players who were former Richmond Robins!


No comments: