Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Song #437: "It Can Happen"--Yes (1983)

This is the first of six songs on our countdown, yes, six, from one of the most influential albums of my childhood, released my junior year of high school.

Mostly known for the hit "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" (is it one of the six?), "90125" from Yes was filled with great songs, so much so that, I went searching for another copy in 1993, finding a cassette that I used one day for a specific purpose.

From 1991 to 1996, I would take three days off from work at the radio station each March. Thursday and Friday were to watch and record the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Wednesday was to recharge the batteries. Being an Operations Manager in charge of two 24-hour stations and a staff of 10-12 people, constantly filling in on weekends, dealing with an antiquated automation system, AND running a newspaper route seven mornings a week with Bonnie home with our first baby, Robbie, meant many hours running around, working, creating, and few hours resting.

So, on a very rainy Wednesday, St. Patrick's Day, 1993. I brought "90125" along in my Chevrolet Cavalier and listened, loudly, as I took a "Sunday Drive" back to my hometown of Beaverdam, winding through Caroline County, ending in Fredericksburg at, of all things, a Phar-Mor clearance sale.

Good music, driving, and shopping. Therapeutic, if only for a day.  :)


No comments: