Sunday, April 17, 2016

Song #433: "I've Got A Gal In Kalamazoo"--Glenn Miller, Tex Beneke & The Modernaires (1942)

My first recollections of the "Big Band" and "Swing" eras of music was stories from my Dad, since it was considered "Top 40" or "Popular (Pop)" Music in his early childhood into his teenage years.

Then, in my first high school musical, "The 1940's Radio Hour", set at a radio station in New York at Christmastime, 1942, a chance to perform many of the great hits.

Then, finally, my commercial radio station job, at WUHN-AM in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, which, at the time, used the "Music Of Your Life" format featuring Big Band, Swing and Adult Standards from the 1930's through 1960's. Man, did I LOVE working airshifts there. The music was awesome.

So, from 1942, it's my favorite band leader, the great Glenn Miller, and one of the era's best vocalists, Tex Beneke. The lyrics are phenomenal to sing, especially near the bridge (K-A-L-A-M-A-Z-O-Oh what a gal!), and near the end.

There will be more from this era, and I will say it will be represented later, much later, in the countdown.  :)


No comments: