Friday, April 15, 2016

Song #435: "Head Over Heels"--Tears For Fears (1985)

The opening to this song is so mesmerizing, so powerful, one of the few parts of any song that actually drive me to want to learn how to play the piano. The song itself is a simple premise, and it takes me back to those very hard days of my first semester in college in Massachusetts in the fall of 1985, trying to deal with a harsh new reality, preparing to come home for Thanksgiving to an apartment in Richmond and not the home I grew up in the previous eighteen years.

I can also, ironically, hear Tom Parker in my mind talk up the intro of this song on "99-G-FM", one of two CHR stations in Albany, New York at the time, having no clue then that he and I would be co-workers in Richmond at WRVA nearly twenty years later. You just never know.

I'm posting the long version, because, well, I'm an album track kind of guy. This is the first of two Tears For Fears songs in our countdown.


No comments: