Monday, July 02, 2007

Two, Two, Two Races in One!

With apologies to Certs' classic ad slogan....

The IRL came to town Saturday night (I can't get that "I Am Indy!" song outta my head, though...) and I watched the Indy cars live for the first time. Fascinating experience. They run so fast on the 3/4 mile track, they almost go too fast to follow.

Now the actual race, on the other hand, was pretty much a bore. Dario Franchitti led 242 of 250 laps and won. Yawn. Very little excitement.

Danica pretty much stayed about 1/2 lap behind Dario all evening and finished sixth.

Dario had the car; no doubt about it, though the two Target cars were looking to spoil the party near the end, but they couldn't.

Time of the race: One hour, 24 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------

We head out, I call a friend on my cell who also attended and we swapped reviews. He was already in his car heading towards the exit. I would later wish I were, too.

Uncle Frank and I start the van at 930pm. Songs played on the radio, conversation came and went, and, for a little over an hour, I kept my cool really well.

Usually you would think they'd empty the parking lot from back to front. About 1:10 into the wait, I look to my left and see almost an entire row of cars gone...and they were near the very front of the lot.

What??!?? That was my thought. Finally coming to the end of the grass row to hit the road leading out of the place, I watch the parking person let alot of the row to my left go out (wait, they're closer to the front, too!), and out, and out. Finally, we get to move a few feet.

Quandry. That aforementioned row was directed to the left lane, which hopefully allows one to turn left onto Carolina Avenue, which I needed to do in order to, well, go home. We were being placed in the right lane. In front of me, in between the rows, is the parking guide and a police car.

"As soon as I pass the police car, I'm heading to the other lane", I said.

And I did. Worked out well; didn't put anyone in danger or tear out in front of anyone at the last second.

Finally we make it to the gate, get out of the lot.

Time of the parking fiasco: One hour, 31 minutes.

----------------------------------------------------------

Lesson---I never dreamed it would take 90 minutes to leave RIR since only, maybe 45 or 50,000 people were there, if that. Remember, Nextel Cup Races bring well over 100,000 people there.

Thus, RIR's less than stellar job in getting fans out Saturday night will affect my future decisions as to whether to go back. You'd think with all the years of experience, they would do better. Oh, well.

----------------------------------------------------------

Another birthday in the Witham Nation--tomorrow! Wifey!! No confirmation given on new age. And I ain't asking either!

And, P.S.---less than six days now before the ladies take their big trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'd never make it trying to leave a Cup event at RIR!!!!!! I KNOW....