Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Ne'er on dry land......

.....thought came through my mind (not many do) as the kids and I came home from seeing "Happy Feet" (a sneak preview, my review is above this post) that my wife became the first Witham in our family today.....

....ever to spend an entire 24 hour period at sea, never placing her feet onto earthen soil.

I don't know, that just struck me as pretty wild, being that, well, my idea of a cruise is taking my car down the street to Wawa for an Icee and some Cole Slaw.

It's Day Nine of The Dozen Days, and, we must admit a bit of "what?" to the fact that we've not received a phone call since Saturday at noon. I haven't seen the ship on CNN, so I know they're okay, and I know CRUISE LINES OFFER NO WAY TO TALK TO YOUR FAMILY IN THE OUTSIDE WORLD THAT COSTS LESS THAN AN ARM AND LEG!!!!

But, hopefully tonight she will call, to just make sure all is well, before her last, and longest (maybe biggest) excursion, to Aruba. Ship arrives 7am, they can party 'til midnight, then.....it's back on the ship for the first leg of her journey home.

Again, we're hoping she doesn't decide to stay on for, like, employment with Royal Caribbean. The three of us would be against that.

There are 209 hours from 5am last Thursday, when she waved goodbye at security at RIC, to 10pm Friday night, when we're on the way to back to RIC to pick her up (flight arrives at 10:49pm...I hope!).

We're coming up on 136 hours down, 73 to go.

And, oh, it's almost 10pm on the ship. Wonder if she got to watch Gilmore Girls at sea?

No comments: