Sunday, September 03, 2006


You go, Kyra!

She could not done a better job of dealing with the "bathroom gaffe" during the President's speech last week.

Great move going on Letterman, and, while I'm at it, kudos to CNN for admitting that it was not Kyra's fault.

When I'm on the air on radio, I'm controlling my microphone fate in the studio, unless I have a producer (which I never did) or I'm live from another location and the board operator controls the switches. Now, once I'd finish a remote broadcast, say, from a bookstore, I'd wait a few seconds for the next element to start on our station before I felt safe to talk again.

BUT....if the person back at the studio starts the next song, but accidentally leaves your mic on, well.....you're not gonna know.

And now you know why, especially in this era of FCC crackdowns, all announcers/personalities have to be VERY careful any time they even get close to a microphone.

Having said all that....in TV, the person in Phillips' position doesn't have the mic control.

Smart to tell her to be quiet? Yeah, I guess, but it went out over the air, too. Why not someone run like crap to the control room, point at the channel that shouldn't be on, and mouth "cut it off!"

Or, maybe the person will have run the board themselves at some point, then they could run in, find the channel, and shut it down his/her self.

So, of all the strange parts of this TV adventure for the ages, my pick for strangest part was hearing someone tell Kyra to shut off her mic.

Her fault for not turning it off? Of course. But, her first responsibility isn't checking the mic, it's anchoring. I'm sure she puts on the mic, shuts it on, and then places her trust in the people in that little booth over there.

Wanna bet she never leaves the desk again, even for a short potty break, without reaching down and flipping that little switch?

Good job, Kyra----you rebounded very well!!

No comments: