Sunday, December 18, 2005

Kleenex stocks should have a good week.....

....so today was my final official "sermon" at church. Next week I'm doing a two-part sermonette, part one on Christmas Eve, and the second the next morning (I don't want to hold people in service too long; trying to be respectful of family and visitor time, too.)

Nothing like wrapping up with Jesus' scathing words to the Pharisees in Matthew 23, coupled with God's reminder to Samuel in I Samuel 16 that, just because someone looks like a leader, doesn't mean they are one.

Afterwards there was a reception for the Witham crew.

They presented us with an absolutely beautiful mounted clock engraved with the final line of I Cornithians 13 on the front, and "1996-2005" on the back. They also gave us a gift card and a beautiful card with great words of thanks.

Kleenex, anyone?? Anyone got a Kleenex???

So, let's see.....we held back tears praying after the sermon, we cried after church, during the reception, and with a couple as they left the reception. Then, before the end of our play rehearsal tonight, I look to the other side of the stage and see my daughter play the part of Mary, remembering that our first Christmas at the church, she was baby Jesus, and fought back tears.

This will be a hard week. Only four days to get five days' worth of work done at the office; last minute presents to get, anticipating the final moments at church, and, to top it off, I'm in a down cycle right now. I'm needlessly, I'm sure (Mr. Obsessive that I am) worrying about a friendship, not wanting to see it in a down cycle, and, of course, Christmas-time is never the same since the nine-day vigil in Mama's hospital room, which began three years ago tomorrow.

But I know, I know, I know that God will see me through, there will be wonderful moments to cherish....

.....and alot more tears to come. :)

As I explained to my daughter at the reception today, sometimes the right decisions are very hard.

Me, being the realist I am, figures; better clue her in now before that reality sideswipes her one day like it did me.

I gotta go night-night.

And then there were three trips left to Disputanta....

No comments: